Classic Car Insurance
Classic Car Insurance
Get the Specialty Coverage You Need With Classic Car Insurance
Whether you just bought a perfectly restored muscle car or you spent years rebuilding your beloved antique classic, it’s more than just a car. Maintaining and cruising in your classic car is a source of pride, joy, and passion. But as you know, this hobby can sometimes take a toll on your wallet. That’s why classic car insurance exists.
Classic auto insurance actually usually costs less than your standard policy because it’s built for the unique needs of an older car. Protecting your classic car with specialty insurance coverage is one of the most affordable and smartest ways to keep the costs of your hobby down.
Why Classic Car Insurance Is Cheaper
Because collector cars are not used for daily driving, collision premiums and liability coverage are generally much lower. Classic car insurance is designed for cars that are used on an extremely limited basis, such as for parades, exhibitions, or car-club activities.
Determining If Your Car Qualifies
Are you sure that your car is a classic or antique? If not, take a look at these definitions:
- Classic car – A motor vehicle that is at least ten years old and is of historical interest or rare because of limited production or exceptional workmanship.
- Antique car – A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old.
Your car should also generally meet these requirements:
- Limited use – You only use this car on a limited basis, such as to car shows and club events.
- Storage – You store your classic vehicle in a secure garage.
- Condition – Your car has been preserved, maintained, or restored and is in excellent condition.
If your car does meet these conditions, make sure you explain this whenever you request car insurance quotes. Keep in mind that traditional auto insurance is based on depreciation. In this case, a standard insurance policy may see your collectible classic as worth virtually nothing. Make it known that your car is a classic or antique and inquire about agreed value coverage.
Classic Car Coverages
The following coverages are generally available:
- Agreed value – In the event of a total loss, agreed value makes sure you get compensated for the total value of your classic car at the time you got your insurance. When you receive your classic car insurance quote, just state your car’s value. With this coverage, there is no depreciation.
- Replacement parts – You know that the stock replacement parts on your vehicle are expensive. If they ever get stolen or damaged, your rare and pricey parts will be covered.
- Emergency road service – Sometimes things go wrong when you’re on the way to the car show. If this happens, emergency roadside coverage usually includes towing, fuel refills, and tire changes.
Standard provisions such as liability, collision, no-fault, uninsured/underinsured motorist, and loss of earnings are usually available too. To learn more about specific policies, compare classic car insurance quotes from top carriers.
Why You Should Compare Classic Car Insurance Carriers
When you want classic auto insurance, you want the best policy for the value. Comparing quotes is the best way to save money. Even if you already have coverage for your classic, you might be able to use a lower quote offer to encourage your current insurance company to lower its rates for your ongoing loyalty.
Compare Value Provisions
Remember that the total price of coverage isn’t everything. You might find one that is exceptionally cheap, only to find out that it determines the depreciated cash value of your vehicle instead of the agreed value. Also keep in mind that some policies have stated value coverage, which sounds similar to agreed value, but is affected by depreciation.
Consider Flexible Policies
Certain insurance carriers are more flexible than others. For example, one policy might allow you a certain amount of pleasure driving in your vehicle, while others will strictly limit you to specific events. Figure out how important flexibility is to you and weigh the differences in cost.
Tips As You Compare Classic Auto Insurance
To make sure you get the right policy for your needs at a good price, follow these steps:
- Prepare to prove the value of your collectible car. Take photographs, consult industry pricing resources, and consider hiring a professional appraiser. This can help you avoid getting short-changed.
- You should get an insurance policy from an agent who shows he or she is dependable during each stage of your relationship. This agent should understand the unique needs of a classic car collector. It is best if the agent specializes in classic car coverage.
- Consider the benefits of choosing an insurer with an in-house claims department. If you ever need to file a claim, you want it to be a simple and satisfactory experience.
- Review limited use provisions. Make sure you understand when you will be covered.
- Ask if you are able to bring your car to your preferred repair shop. Some carriers only allow you to bring your car to certain shops.
- Never allow there to be gaps in your coverage. Simply because your car is in your garage doesn’t mean it is completely safe from a fire or natural disaster.
- Pay attention to the details. Make sure you understand exactly what is restricted and covered. Ask agents about anything you’re confused about.
You can also contact our customer service team for advice.
Find the Best Insurance for Your Classic Car
Comparing classic car insurance quotes will let you see side-by-side comparisons of policies and prices. Using our intuitive quote comparison tool is a great way to make sure you’re making the best choice. Don’t automatically assume you’ll get the best deal by choosing a nationwide carrier. Give specialty and regional carriers a chance and you might find surprising incentives, savings, and exceptional customer service. The more quotes you receive, the more helpful information you’ll have to make a wise decision.
Comparing classic auto insurance rates lets you quickly and efficiently find areas where you can cut costs and benefit from specific coverages. Using Bolt Insurance to compare rates will save you the time and effort required to get quotes from each individual carrier by yourself. Use our online comparison form to get classic car insurance quotes or visit our contact page to talk to one of our customer service agents.
Get a Classic Car Insurance Quote Online Today!
When you are in an accident, you may have a lot of thoughts fly through your head in a relatively short amount of time Your first concern may be w...Read More
Some of us are lucky to live in the cheapest car insurance states, while others must pay much higher premiums for auto coverage Although prices al...Read More