Motor Truck Cargo Insurance

If you are a transporter of freight or other commodities, you assume responsibility for the care of the cargo under your control. The amount of that responsibility should be detailed clearly and understood by both the owner and shipper — before the cargo shipment is moved — through a contract or bill of lading.

In order to protect the transporter for his share of the responsibility of the cargo under his care from damage, destruction, or loss, the transporter should obtain Motor Truck Cargo Insurance.

This insurance policy covers the for-hire transporter of cargo for damages as a result of collision, fire, or accidental load dumping on a roadway or waterway, of damaged, destroyed, or lost cargo. Motor truck cargo insurance also helps to pay to extract pollutants or remove debris caused by an accidental dumping of cargo as well as legal expenses in the settlement or defense of claims made in the event the customer loses money from not having his load delivered.

Who Should Obtain Motor Truck Cargo Insurance?

Every for-hire truck driver or transporter of freight or cargo should have Motor Truck Cargo Insurance. An increasing number of risk managers are requiring truck drivers to be insured with this type of insurance.

What are the Deductibles and Limits?

When you choose your Motor Truck Cargo Insurance policy, you’ll need to select a coverage limit. This coverage limit will designate the maximum amount your insurance provider will pay for damaged, destroyed or lost cargo. In addition to choosing a limit, you’ll need to select a deductible that you’re comfortable with and can afford. The deductible you select is the amount you agree to pay out of pocket, before your insurance company pays the balance of the claim.

Are there any restrictions, exceptions or exclusions?

Motor Truck Cargo Insurance can only be obtained for for-hire trucking policies of the below body types:

  • Tractor
  • Trailer (most)
  • Dump Truck
  • Cargo Vans
  • Car Haulers
  • Flatbeds
  • Cement Mixers
  • Box Trucks
  • Pick-Ups (Dually)

Motor Truck Cargo Insurance is not available for limos, buses, ice cream trucks, garbage trucks, hearses, or passenger vans.

In addition to restrictions on the body type, there are also cargo exclusions. Cargo type exclusions include:

  • Shipping containers
  • Live animals
  • Property not included on a Bill of Lading
  • Art
  • Jewelry
  • Money
  • Paper
  • Pharmaceuticals
  • Tobacco, alcohol, or contraband
  • Property owned by the insured
  • Radioactive or Explosive material
  • Greater than 72 hour storage
  • Property in custody of another carrier

Other restrictions and exclusions may apply. Motor Truck Cargo Insurance may not be available in every state.