4 Holiday Pet Dangers

holiday pet dangers BOLT

The holidays are a joyous time to get together with your family and friends to celebrate. However, they also can be a very busy time and through all the chaos, you might forget about ensuring your pets are safe during the holidays. Below are 4 holiday pet dangers you need to avoid and keep an eye out for.

Don’t Give your Pet Turkey Bones

It can be too tempting to want to offer your dog with his pleading eyes, some of your leftovers or a piece of bone off your turkey. This is a big mistake because when your dog ingests turkey bones, they can splinter and puncture their internal organs. They can also lead to painful constipation in which you will need the assistance of a veterinarian.

Table scraps are also typically fatty and rich foods which can lead to illness in your pet causing them diarrhea and vomiting. Foods that are fatty may also induce pancreatitis. This is pancreas inflammation that can be potentially dangerous since it produces toxic enzymes that cause dehydration and illness.

Don’t Hang Holly or Mistletoe

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) says that Holly can lead to vomiting, nausea and diarrhea in your pet when ingested. If they ingest mistletoe, it can lead to cardiovascular issues as well as gastrointestinal upset. Your cats can end up with kidney failure with certain lilies. You might choose to go with artificial plants that are made of plastic or silk which are safer for your pets and look just as jolly.

Don’t Give your Pet Chocolate

Sure, we all love chocolate, but for your pet, it’s not a good idea. It stimulates the heart and nervous system and if your pet consumes it, it can cause vomiting, agitation, high heart rate, diarrhea, seizures, tremors and even death.

Keep Wires Up

Ensure all your wires, plastic or glass ornaments, and batteries are out of your pet’s reach. A cat playing with a wire can end up with an electrical shock that could be lethal. If your dog gets a hold of and punctures a battery, it can cause burns to his esophagus and mouth. Breakable ornaments can produce shards and harm your pet’s digestive tract and mouth.

Holidays are definitely a time of cheer, but as a pet owner, it’s your responsibility to educate yourself on what the various household dangers can be and ensure you pet-proof your home properly. Also, in the unfortunate event you think your pet did get into something and becomes ill, call your veterinarian right away. Pet insurance is important too in the event that your dog or cat has an unfortunate holiday mishap.

For a free pet insurance quote from BOLT Insurance Agency, feel out our online form. Or call us at 1-800-216-4171.