The success of most every small business depends on the productivity of its labor force. The ability of employees to function consistently at a high level is greatly enhanced by an employee wellness program. These types of programs focus on the physical (and mental) well being of employees. Weight loss, stress management, exercise, fitness, diet, and smoking cessation programs are all examples of employee wellness programs. Wellness programs can consist of incentives, education, or health care screening, all intended to promote healthier living.
Let’s take a look at some of the tangible and intangible benefits:
1. Decrease health care costs. Rising health care costs are causing small business owners to look for alternative ways to reduce dollars spent on health care insurance.
2. Reduced absenteeism. Weight loss, improved fitness, healthier eating habits, and improved stress management all lead to healthier employees, which means less employee absences.
3. Increased employee loyalty. This is one of the intangible benefits of an employee wellness program. Wellness programs can lead to decreased costs for recruitment due to employee turnover — not to mention experienced, seasoned employees are often more creative and efficient at their jobs than new employees.
4. Improved performance. Employee wellness programs aim to encourage employees to lead healthier lifestyles. Healthier employees have more energy, increased focus, and improved concentration, which transform to improved performance in the workplace.
5. Reduced extended sick leave costs. Employees who live a healthy lifestyle may be less prone to develop an illness that could result in an extended sick leave of absence.
6. Increased workplace morale. Healthier people are often a whole lot happier than if they were ill. Happiness is contagious and can spread throughout the small business workplace in the form of positive morale.